Saturday 10 October 2015

Mojito's

Calle Rincto Sur 323
San Juan, Puerto Rico






In her opinion:
What does one do on a rainy night in San Juan when your dinner plans are botched by a lack of parking and an erroneous restaurant description? Why you park at one of the latest parking complexes in Old San Juan and run across the street to Mojito's!

We had walked past Mojito's a few times during our evening strolls looking for our next dinner venue. To be honest, it wasn't that appealing to me but I noticed that it was always full. Given the state of the weather...I didn't really care about appearances and after all, it had good reviews on both Yelp and TripAdvisor.

We were greeted by a very welcoming hostess who joked about how cheap this restaurant was...I didn't really care if it was cheap. We were hungry and wet and at this point just happy to get a descent meal. This is a no frills type of place with lots of tourists and most importantly locals. Our waitress was at our table right away to take our drink orders. Diet Coke for this girl.

We decided to start with the Crostini de Baccala or Stewed Salt Cod on Crostini.



This was very good. The salt cod stew was excellent. It was well seasoned and flavourful. It had tonnes of onions and a some red peppers that had been stewed in a tomato based sauce with the salted cod. It was reminiscent of some Portuguese cod dishes that I had had before. The only bad thing about this dish was that the crostini started to get soggy as it sat on the plate...but that was easily fixed with a knife and fork.

For my main dish, I ordered the Churrasco or grilled skirt steak cooked medium. I also opted for French fries as my side.


The French fries were the homemade type. They were not the pre-cut frozen type. They reminded me of my mom's fries (so so good) and along with the fries a simple salad accompanied the skirt steak. The skirt steak was delicious. It was perfectly cooked. It was simply spiced which said a lot about the cut of the meat. Really really delicious.  I enjoyed this dinner very much.

What had been an unplanned dinner to simply get out of the rain turned out to be an excellent meal. If you are in Old San Juan, give this place a try.

In his opinion:

This is what Edgar ate.

Pechuga de Pollo al Ajillo



Edgar gives it 3 out of 5 Olives rating.



1 comment:

  1. Great post on "Mojito's". As a professional chef i have to appreciate your work. Keep Posting useful posts like this. Keep in touch with my websites- Culinary Schools | Cooking Schools

    ReplyDelete